Seven days . . .. . . web focus on rail accidents and rail safety
Archive March 2000
n.b. Some articles may have expired and no longer be available, or may be obtained only upon payment of a fee to the news provider
Train accident at Chinese copper mine kills seven
The Times of India 26/03/2000
- A collision between two trains killed seven people at a copper mine in eastern China, the state Xinhua News Agency said.
Another 15 people were injured in the collision of a railway engineering train and a diesel locomotive at the Dexing Copper Mine in Jiangxi province, Xinhua said. It said the accident occurred at about 1:40 p.m. (0540 GMT), but didn't give the identities of the dead or any other details.
Chinese mines are among the world's deadliest, with frequent fires, natural-gas explosions and other accidents often blamed on lack of safety equipment and training.
One killed, 6 hurt in train mishap
The Hindu 22/03/2000
- One person was killed and six others were injured when five bogies of the 5719 up Katihar-Siliguri Inter- city Express derailed near Aluabari Road station in North Bengal this morning, Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) officials at Maligaon said.
Sabotage is suspected to be the reason for the mishap as some fishplates were found to have been removed near a bridge, which the train was approaching.
The assistant driver of the train, Mr. Radha Yadav, succumbed to injuries later.
CSX train derails - releases toxic cargo
- Four cars jumped the CSX tracks and overturned on Northeast 179th Terrace, said Miami-Dade Fire Officer Isabel Lora.
Thousands of gallons of hydrogen peroxide poured out of one car; limestone poured from another, and a petroleum compound spilled from a third, authorities said.
Rail Crossing Barrier 'May Have Been Jammed'
News Unlimited 20/03/2000
- Police investigating a collision between a car and a train at an unmanned automatic crossing have disclosed that the barrier could have been jammed upright.
The driver, in his 30s, and two boys, aged three and six, were injured when a freight train hit their Vauxhall Carlton and shunted it 50 yards along the track, at Seghill, near Blyth, Northumberland.
Firetruck collides with train
- A Fayetteville firefighter is dead after driving his ladder truck into the path of an Amtrack passenger train Friday evening.
The accident occured one mile from Fayetteville's train station
The accident happened at the railroad crossing at Ramsey and Cumberland near downtown Fayetteville at approximately 6:30 p.m.
The southbound train was about a mile away from and approaching the downtown Fayetteville station when it hit the truck broadside on the driverís side near the cab.
Loss of firefighter hard for colleagues
Tarantula Train accident injures 11
- Officials say eleven people, including two children, suffered minor injuries when a vintage diesel engine that makes trips between Fort Worth and Grapevine, collided head on with another train Wednesday south of the Stockyards in Fort Worth.
Unscheduled Cambodian train kills sleeping teens
- An unscheduled night train reportedly smuggling illegally felled Cambodian logs has killed three teenagers sleeping on the tracks south of the capital, Phnom Penh.
Police say the boys, aged 16, 17 and 18 were returning home from a festival and would have decided to sleep on the tracks because there are normally no trains at that time of night.
Rush to clear track after Qld derailment
- Crews are working through the night at the scene of a coal train derailment between Rockhampton and Emerald in central Queensland.
The derailment involving 20 loaded coal wagons occurred 85 kilometres west of Rockhampton yesterday afternoon while the train was travelling from Blackwater to the Stanwell power station.
Rail probe raises questions
Chicago Tribune 14/03/2000
- Cover-up seen in fatal collision
The railroad crossing at U.S. Highway 136 in Downstate McLean was designed to be one of the safest in the United States, protected not only by road barriers and flashing lights but also by steel nets programmed to drop in front of drivers who ignore the other warnings.
Union Pacific officials tried to portray the accident as a case of reckless teenagers attempting to beat a train. But videotapes reviewed by the Tribune from six cameras installed at the crossing showed that none of the elaborate warning systems operated when the crash occurred.
Man killed by train as he rescues dogs
This Is London 12/03/2000
- A 61-year-old man has been run down by a train as he attempted to rescue two dogs from a railway line.
The accident, involving a passenger train travelling from Nottingham to Manchester, happened at the unmanned Sergeant's Crossing, near Bramshall, west of Uttoxeter, Staffordshire.
Russia: Explosion Derails Train In Chechnya
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty 10/03/2000
- Russia's Interior Ministry says an explosion damaged a Russian freight train in eastern Chechnya today, causing no injuries but derailing two empty tank cars. It said the train was rolling from Gudermes, Chechnya's second largest city, to Khasavyurt in the neighboring Russian republic of Daghestan. Chechen rebel separatists have said they will attack Russian targets throughout the breakaway republic.
Also today, Russian acting President Vladimir Putin said he may introduce direct Kremlin rule over Chechnya after rebel fighters have been "dispersed and wiped out." Putin said this would likely occur after the Russian presidential election later this month.
Police concentrate on proper use of rail crossing
- Woomera police are cracking down on drivers making their way through the Pimba Railway Crossing without stopping.
Far North police Senior Sergeant Howard Davies says the crossing has been a problem for years, because people do not think it is important to stop in the middle of the outback.
4 fall to death from train roof
The Hindu 05/03/2000
- Three persons were killed and 13 others were injured, four of them seriously, when they had a fall from the roof of a compartment of a running train, near Vinukonda in Guntur district, on Saturday.
According to information reaching the district headquarters,the four were among passengers atop the 427 Guntakal-Guntur passenger train. While the train was approaching the Vinukonda railway station,they were hit by a telephone cable at Chatragaddapadu railway gate.
Train derailment closes Highway 95
- Eleven train cars derailed Friday night south of Naples, temporarily closing U.S. Highway 95.
The southbound Union Pacific train derailed at about 9 p.m. Four of the 11 derailed cars were loaded with banded lumber, wheat and canola pellets.
Derailment closes Court Street
Press & Sun Bulletin 04/03/2000
- Binghamton police closed off part of Court Street on Friday afternoon after a train derailed eight of its cars.
The accident occurred at 3:53 p.m. when a Norfolk-Southern train derailed eight of its empty flatbed cars east of the overpass at Court and Alice streets in Binghamton, said Binghamton police Sgt. Scott Patrick.
Train derails in Lompoc
- A runaway train jumped the tracks south of Lompoc Thursday night.
The eingineer rode in the caboose for several miles down a hill with malfunctioning breaks.
One dead after car hits train in suburban Detroit
Michigan Live 01/03/2000
- One person was killed and another was critical after a train-car collision near Detroit this morning.
The car apparently was trying to get across the tracks so it wouldn't have to wait for the freight train, Center Line police told Detroit television station WDIV.
Trucker killed in collision with train
Courier & Press Western Kentucky Bureau 26/02/2000
- Fireball envelops truck and locomotive in Henderson
Mike Scott heard an explosion that sounded like a bomb and then realized something horrible had just happened.
A delivery driver who had just completed delivering a load of industrial gases to Hazex Construction Co., where Scott works, had collided with a CSX Transportation train.
Pipe bomb found near train track
Sacbee News 18/02/2000
- Two Amtrak trains were cancelled and a third was delayed for two hours while explosives technicians removed and then detonated a small pipe bomb from an area near a railroad track causeway Thursday in Yolo County.
The 6-inch piece of plastic pipe, about 1 to 2 inches in diameter, was found about eight feet from the track in the Yolo bypass area between West Sacramento and Davis at around 10:45 a.m. by a Union Pacific Railroad track worker.
In wake of car-train crashes, safety gates will be installed
JS Online 18/02/2000
- State takes emergency action on 3 Wisconsin Central track crossings
The state will provide emergency funding for new safety gates at two hazardous railroad crossings in Waukesha County, including the scene of a crash earlier this week.
State Commissioner of Railroads Rodney Kreunen said Friday that the state Department of Administration and the governor's office had notified him of the release of $250,000 to quickly install warning gates at three Wisconsin Central Ltd. crossings.
Indian bomb injures train passengers
- In India, 10 people have been injured, two of them seriously, when a bomb exploded underneath a train waiting at a station in the northern province of Uttar Pradesh.
Police say the blast occurred late in the evening, local time, as the Lucknow-bound express was about to leave the station.
Chemical spill closes Fort Lauderdale train station
Miami Herald 13/02/2000
- A chemical leaking from a CSX tanker shut down a Fort Lauderdale train station Saturday, delaying hundreds of people and at least seven trains.
The leak of lacolene, a petroleum byproduct used in paint and lacquer, shut down the station at Southwest 21st Terrace just south of Broward Boulevard at 3 p.m. Fort Lauderdale hazardous material workers said about 20 gallons leaked from the car.
Child dies after train slams into stalled car
Boston Globe 11/02/2000
- Tuscon Ariz: A 22-month-old boy was killed Friday after a freight train struck his mother's stalled vehicle before she and bystanders could free him from his car seat.
Alex Caravantes was thrown about 50 feet after the car was hit by a northbound Union Pacific train. The boy was airlifted to University Medical Center, where he died about an hour later.
DM& E train derails
- A DM& E train derailed in downtown Rochester. It happened around three Wednesday afternoon near Soldiers Field Plaza and South Broadway. The engine and two cars slid off the tracks due to normal wear and tear on the road bed. No one was injured, and the train was righted within 30 minutes.
Crash: Car and freight train collide
Intelligencer Journal 08/02/2000
- A Lancaster city man and his twin boys escaped serious injury Monday evening when their car collided with a moving Norfolk Southern freight train at an East Lampeter Township railroad crossing.
According to East Lampeter police, Steven Jones was driving his Buick Century north in the 600 block of Hartman Station Road. Jones, who was accompanied by his 11-year-old sons Aubrey and Aaron, was traveling down a slight incline when the car collided with an eastbound train moving at approximately 1 to 2 mph around 7:30 p.m.
Rail tunnel short cut fatal
The Press 07/02/2000
- A man who was killed by a train while taking a short cut through a railway tunnel had only about 10m to go before reaching safety.
Maxwell Edgar Osborne, 68, of Christchurch, was killed instantly by a coal train travelling from Greymouth to Christchurch on the Midland line about 7.30pm on Sunday.
Girl's Subway Terror
NY Post 05/02/2000
- A 12-year-old girl thought she was moments from death yesterday when her foot got stuck in the door of a rush-hour subway train and she was dragged -- kicking and screaming -- up to 150 feet.
"I thought I was going to die!" said Margaret Schultz, who miraculously escaped with just a few scrapes and bruises in the horrific incident at the Union Square station.
Via train collides with car
- A Via passenger train headed to Ottawa from Toronto collided with a car at about 11:25 a.m. today just outside the capital, injuring two people.
The injuries were not considered life-threatening, said a train passenger after speaking with a Via official. No one on the train was hurt.
Final chargesheet in train blast cases filed
The Hindu 01/02/2000
- The single final consolidated chargesheet in the three train bomb blast cases which occurred at Tiruchi, Erode and at Thrissur on December 6, 1997, on the anniversary of the Babri Masjid demolition, killing 10 persons and injuring 72 others, was filed today at Tiruchi by the Special Investigation Team.
Bombs exploded in the Pandiyan Express at Tiruchi, Cheran Express in Erode and in the Allepy Express at Thrissur.
Speed, alcohol may have been factors in crash involving two cars, train
Seattle P-I 01/02/2000
- Speed and alcohol may have been involved in an unusual two-car/train crash that injured two women late Sunday night, Renton police said yesterday.
One car was going 50 to 60 mph when it slammed into the rear of another vehicle which was stopped at a railroad crossing, a witness told police.