Seven days . . .. . . web focus on rail accidents and rail safety
Archive February 2000
n.b. Some articles may have expired and no longer be available, or may be obtained only upon payment of a fee to the news provider
Otford: Railtrack and council lock horns in crossing upset
Kent & East Sussex Courier 24/02/2000
- Railtrack and Sevenoaks District Council are in dispute over trains sounding their horns at a footpath level crossing south of Otford station.
The council has served a noise abatement notice against the rail firm alleging statutory nuisance caused by the warning horns.
CTA hails new audio system; critics say safety should be first
Chicago Tribune 23/02/2000
- In an effort to improve communication on trains and boost ridership, the Chicago Transit Authority on Tuesday unveiled a prerecorded announcement system and two-way intercoms that will be installed on each rail car.
The equipment, already in place on the Red, Purple and Yellow Lines, sounds two chimes that are followed by announcements informing riders about the next station, which side the doors will open on and if there's a connection for another line. The system will be gradually installed on all lines by the fall.
New Shinkansen window cracked
Daily Yomiuri 21/02/2000
- Two cracks were found on the innermost layer of the three-layered glass in the driver's car of a new Shinkansen Rail Star model after the train passed through a tunnel in Okayama Prefecture on the Sanyo Shinkansen Line on Monday, West Japan Railway Co. officials said.
JR West conducted a test run on the 700-system Rail Star, which will be introduced on March 11 and seat about 360 passengers. The train left JR Shin-Osaka Station at 1:30 p.m. to make a round trip to JR Hiroshima Station.
It was the first time for cracks to be found on an inner layer of a Shinkansen driver's car window. JR West and the companies that manufactured the train and windows will examine the cause of the cracks.
Train derails in Quincy
- Ten cars on a Burlington Northern Santa Fe freight train derailed Friday near the Quincy riverfront as they were being delivered to the Archer Daniels Midland plant.
The train was bringing 58 cars to the company when it left the track about 8:00 Friday morning. There were three crew members aboard, but none of them were injured.
Pipe bomb found near train track
Sacbee News 18/02/2000
- Two Amtrak trains were cancelled and a third was delayed for two hours while explosives technicians removed and then detonated a small pipe bomb from an area near a railroad track causeway Thursday in Yolo County.
The 6-inch piece of plastic pipe, about 1 to 2 inches in diameter, was found about eight feet from the track in the Yolo bypass area between West Sacramento and Davis at around 10:45 a.m. by a Union Pacific Railroad track worker.
In wake of car-train crashes, safety gates will be installed
JS Online 18/02/2000
- State takes emergency action on 3 Wisconsin Central track crossings
The state will provide emergency funding for new safety gates at two hazardous railroad crossings in Waukesha County, including the scene of a crash earlier this week.
State Commissioner of Railroads Rodney Kreunen said Friday that the state Department of Administration and the governor's office had notified him of the release of $250,000 to quickly install warning gates at three Wisconsin Central Ltd. crossings.
Indian bomb injures train passengers
- In India, 10 people have been injured, two of them seriously, when a bomb exploded underneath a train waiting at a station in the northern province of Uttar Pradesh.
Police say the blast occurred late in the evening, local time, as the Lucknow-bound express was about to leave the station.
Chemical spill closes Fort Lauderdale train station
Miami Herald 13/02/2000
- A chemical leaking from a CSX tanker shut down a Fort Lauderdale train station Saturday, delaying hundreds of people and at least seven trains.
The leak of lacolene, a petroleum byproduct used in paint and lacquer, shut down the station at Southwest 21st Terrace just south of Broward Boulevard at 3 p.m. Fort Lauderdale hazardous material workers said about 20 gallons leaked from the car.
Child dies after train slams into stalled car
Boston Globe 11/02/2000
- Tuscon Ariz: A 22-month-old boy was killed Friday after a freight train struck his mother's stalled vehicle before she and bystanders could free him from his car seat.
Alex Caravantes was thrown about 50 feet after the car was hit by a northbound Union Pacific train. The boy was airlifted to University Medical Center, where he died about an hour later.
DM& E train derails
- A DM& E train derailed in downtown Rochester. It happened around three Wednesday afternoon near Soldiers Field Plaza and South Broadway. The engine and two cars slid off the tracks due to normal wear and tear on the road bed. No one was injured, and the train was righted within 30 minutes.
Crash: Car and freight train collide
Intelligencer Journal 08/02/2000
- A Lancaster city man and his twin boys escaped serious injury Monday evening when their car collided with a moving Norfolk Southern freight train at an East Lampeter Township railroad crossing.
According to East Lampeter police, Steven Jones was driving his Buick Century north in the 600 block of Hartman Station Road. Jones, who was accompanied by his 11-year-old sons Aubrey and Aaron, was traveling down a slight incline when the car collided with an eastbound train moving at approximately 1 to 2 mph around 7:30 p.m.
Rail tunnel short cut fatal
The Press 07/02/2000
- A man who was killed by a train while taking a short cut through a railway tunnel had only about 10m to go before reaching safety.
Maxwell Edgar Osborne, 68, of Christchurch, was killed instantly by a coal train travelling from Greymouth to Christchurch on the Midland line about 7.30pm on Sunday.
Girl's Subway Terror
NY Post 05/02/2000
- A 12-year-old girl thought she was moments from death yesterday when her foot got stuck in the door of a rush-hour subway train and she was dragged -- kicking and screaming -- up to 150 feet.
"I thought I was going to die!" said Margaret Schultz, who miraculously escaped with just a few scrapes and bruises in the horrific incident at the Union Square station.
Via train collides with car
- A Via passenger train headed to Ottawa from Toronto collided with a car at about 11:25 a.m. today just outside the capital, injuring two people.
The injuries were not considered life-threatening, said a train passenger after speaking with a Via official. No one on the train was hurt.
Final chargesheet in train blast cases filed
The Hindu 01/02/2000
- The single final consolidated chargesheet in the three train bomb blast cases which occurred at Tiruchi, Erode and at Thrissur on December 6, 1997, on the anniversary of the Babri Masjid demolition, killing 10 persons and injuring 72 others, was filed today at Tiruchi by the Special Investigation Team.
Bombs exploded in the Pandiyan Express at Tiruchi, Cheran Express in Erode and in the Allepy Express at Thrissur.
Speed, alcohol may have been factors in crash involving two cars, train
Seattle P-I 01/02/2000
- Speed and alcohol may have been involved in an unusual two-car/train crash that injured two women late Sunday night, Renton police said yesterday.
One car was going 50 to 60 mph when it slammed into the rear of another vehicle which was stopped at a railroad crossing, a witness told police.